All week, I have been planning on writing a travel post about relocation and why I have relocated twice since I graduated from college. That post will definitely come later if people are interested. But, my intuition told me to write this post because of where I am currently. I thought that a post about this weird millenial, quarter-life crisis thing that most people experience in their 20s (and really at any time) would speak to so many people.
Sometimes I tend to get overwhelmed and have a lost feeling when it comes to my career and my life’s work. I literally feel unfulfilled and like there are a million things I should be doing, a million places I could be. But, part of me has no idea what those things are and what those places could be. These are things that I do to help me to navigate those times when I feel like I have no freaking clue about anything! Sometimes, I get overwhelmed by the amount of possibility that life offers compared with the potential I feel that I have. Then I end up feeling defeated and overwhelmed. It happens but this is how I find my way when it seems impossible…
- Revisit Life Goals: When you feel lost, it is super helpful to revisit your life goals. What have you done lately to push yourself to reach those goals? What things are you doing today to help you reach those goals? What will you do this week to help you reach those goals? This motivates me in every way to get up and go do something that really contributes to accomplishing a goal. In the grand scheme of things, you have a lot to accomplish and a lot to be passionate about. Once you have written down your life goals, you have more direction for your life than you think. Most of the things you do should be related to reaching those goals in some way. Read them, internalize them, and make moves.
- Find Inspiration: When you feel like you lack direction, listen to a podcast, watch a Youtube video, read a personal growth blog or book. You should be dedicating some time each day to this. I find myself feeling the most lost when I haven’t invested time into myself and my personal growth. Invest in yourself so that you have passion and dedication to give to everything in your life. A lack of direction causes a lack of passion and that is something that begins to diminish your ability to reach the goals you have set for yourself. My personal favorite Youtubers are KalynNicholson, LavendaireLifestyle, and AmbrosiaMalbrough. I love listening to GaryVee on IG or his Podcast. There also several other Podcasts I love and listen to regularly for inspiration in addition to the books I read.
- Do Something You Love: Doing something engaging that you love and that ideally helps you to reach a life goal is an integral part of maintaining direction in your life. I love to write and so I find that posting to the blog actually makes me feel full and accomplished, even though I shy away from posting when I’m having a tough time navigating life. Do something that brings you energy and good vibrations. Do something that reminds you what you love and guides you back to what you want to ultimately accomplish in life.
- Remind yourself that YOU are in control: It is SO important to remember that we are in control of our own lives (God ultimately, but he gave us free will). If you are stuck, it is because you made a decision to be that way. We are not victims of our circumstances but creators of our reality. It is important to realize that if we want to be somewhere else, we can. You can choose to do anything, be anything, go anywhere. Don’t choose to let it overwhelm you. Let it inspire you and motivate you to go in a direction and if you hate it, go a different way.
- Get in touch with your spirituality: My faith in god has allowed me to be able to meditate, engage in dialogue, and have some direction in and about my work. Having a spiritual place to go to regroup and reorganize the feelings you have about the purpose for your life has been absolutely life-changing for me. Find a spiritual place that works for you and lean into that when you are lost. Put your life into perspective. Ask yourself why you are here, now? Rewrite your life goals if you have to. Find a place that continuously pushes you back to your life’s purpose.
These are ways that I navigate through the times when I feel lost and uninspired. There are so many times when we go through those feelings of comparing ourselves to other 20 somethings, making difficult decisions that actually seem impossible, and just getting overwhelmed because we feel like we aren’t where we should be. Acknowledge those feelings, then let those feelings of anxiety die. Feed your purpose and your passions so much that they thrive.